2018 BUGGY CONSTRUCTION RULES
CHASSIS AND COMPONENTS
- Only commercial available 2wd or 4wd 1/10th scale Buggy Kit/RTR cars are allowed.
- 2wd cars are those having only one pair of driven wheels on the same axle, either front or rear axle may be driven. 4wd cars are those having all four wheels driven.
- The overall width of any bumper must not exceed the overall width of the front of the car including wheels. The bumper must be constructed of a resilient material such as plastic or rubber, with rounded edges and corners and be of a design which will not cause personal injury.
- Overall dimensions are:
- Maximum length (including bumper) is 460mm.
- Maximum width is 250mm at any point of suspension travel in a vertical plane.
- Any commercial available 1/10th scale bodyshell may be used other than Formula 1, saloon, truck or sports racing shells.
- The bodyshell must remain securely fastened to the chassis whilst the car is on the track.
- Bodyshells are to be painted, with a clear windscreen and any side/rear windows.
- The front and rear ends of the bodyshell must retain some of the original profile of the two ends of the bodyshell.
- Front and rear air scoops/vents are allowed to be removed with a maximum dimension of 10mm in any direction whether or not the bodyshell is surface marked with such intention.
- Windows are not allowed to be removed or include holes, other than for an aerial.
- No part of the chassis or equipment may extend beyond the bodyshell except for aerial masts and suspension.
- A maximum of 2 wings can be used, one at the front and one at the rear. They must be non- metallic, commercially available and securely fixed.
- Maximum wing sizes are:
- Front – 127.0mm wide with a chord of 63.5mm.
- Rear – 177.8mm wide with a chord of 76.2mm.
- Wing side plates – height 50mm, length 80mm.
- Vertical ‘fins' included or attached within the wing area must be no higher or lower than any side plates. If no side plates are used, any vertical ‘fins' within the wing area must not exceed 50mm height overall (taken from the highest to lowest point of any ‘fins' added to the wing top side and underside).
- Front or rear hi-tech level wings are not permitted.
- Only one drive motor per car is allowed.
- Only flexible aerial masts/tubes to be used.
- Reverse is not permitted.
- Any 540 style brushed or brushless motor may be used.
- Cars to be powered by cells/batteries with a maximum nominal voltage of 7.6v and a maximum charge voltage of 8.40v.
WHEELS & TYRES
- Only commercially available wheels and tyres may be used.
- No form of metal or plastic spikes, tubes or anything similar can be attached to the tyres.
- Overall dimensions are:
- Maximum diameter - 90mm front and rear.
- Bead mounting diameter – 41.28mm minimum and 55.88mm maximum – measured at point where tyre bead meets the wheel.
- Maximum wheel diameter – 61.47mm.
- Maximum wheel width – 38.10mm measured are circumference of the wheel where tyre is retained, though centre of wheel may be outside this dimension.
- Venting holes in the internal rim of the wheel are allowed with a maximum of 2 holes and 6mm diameter.
- Suspension shock absorber tower ends MUST be covered to prevent damage to the carpet when the car is inverted.
- Minimum ground clearance is 12mm under chassis and body.
- Spur gear covers MUST be covered (to prevent injury to marshalls when handling the car).
- All sharp edges MUST be protected to prevent damage to the carpet.
- Minimum weight is 1474grams for 2wd and 1588grams for 4wd, ready to race including transponder.
Download a copy of The 2018 Buggy Construction Rules